Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Southwest Benedict, Portage Bay Cafe, Seattle

Behold, the Southwest Benedict at Portage Bay Cafe.

What is it? Slices of fluffy cheddar-jalepeno-black bean cornbread, sauteed spinach, poached eggs, house-smoked tomato and roasted red pepper coulis. $12, with an extra buck if you want to substitute fresh fruit or tomatoes for the usual potatoes (I did).

It was mostly good: everything was very fresh (even the tomatoes! Not a trace of mealiness!) and the cornbread had a nice texture which absorbed the oozy yolk perfectly.

The problem? I guess I just kind of assumed the coulis was in addition to hollandaise, but I was wrong: it was instead of hollandaise. What can I say--I kind of missed it.

Next time, I'll stick with a more traditional (fattier!) benedict, but if a lighter version is your thing, you might like this one.

Portage Bay Cafe & Catering on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment